Sunday, January 25, 2009

Poetic Destiny


"My hair, uncombed for days, blew free in the salty air. My face, dark with weather was creased with a smile, I was squinting westward into the swollen face of a blood-red sun which cast a simmering golden road upon the sea. From where I perched it seemed we were sailing on that road in a marvelous dream; and there I was, joyous, new-made, liberated from a prison I'd thought was my proper place!"

-From a favoite book of mine that I've forotten the name of but this is a passage that I've memorized. It has always touched me. Does anyone know the name of the book? It's about a girl, heading West across the Atlantic from England on a ship mid 1800's I think, she comes to terms with who she is on this voyage.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Kel, I just tried googling your quote to try to help you and it came back to your blog. You can change those security settings if you want.

    ReplyDelete