Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Everwood


There Are Few Shows that transport you into another brilliant world like Everwood does. I am a big fan, love the actors, the writers... the set!! (Of course!! I'm a Utahn) But I have never watched a show, and begged in silent prayer that the episode never end. I am so touched by the cast, the stories, the heart and warmth Everwood portrays. Humor, real life, real irony mixed with beautiful scenery; sometimes I can't believe that this is just a story, and that they are only actors.
It is the Series Finale this Monday. I am heartbroken that this show will not go on forever.
I will really miss this show. I will be buying the season DVD's and will watch them as often as I need an escape, when I want to be touched emotionally, when I want a good cry.
Here are some quotes from the show:

Dear Valentine
by Dr. Andrew Brown
Dear Valentine, come away with me. If I had a day with you and you only, I would enjoy the simple things. The things that bring joy to the drudgery and the mundane, the things that, in the end, when time steals the rest away, are the only things we'll remember. I would paddle you across a still lake in a rowboat and read poetry to you until you fell asleep, and I would never ever think about the hours. Dear Valentine, if I had one day with you and you only, I would admire every line of your face, every strand of your hair, every graceful movement of your hands or your eyes or your body. If I had one perfect day. Don't you see, my heart beats only for you? Dear Valentine, these are the things I remember, my love... A warm hand, your warm breath, your warm mouth, your arms around mine. I remember feeling safe, ceaseless, like one person, the two of us, still, at rest, entwined. I remember how I felt the first time I kissed you. It felt like... the high dive. What do you remember? How will I ever know what was inside your heart? Where do they go, all the things we think and feel but don't say? Dear Valentine, these are the things I never told you, these are the things I need you to know... that I loved you always, and my love was so big, it lives still after you're gone. I'd like to tell you that I would do it differently, that if I had one more day I would do everything right. But I know that not to be true. I'd make all the same mistakes. That is, except one... I wouldn't say good-bye.

My Tragic Flaw
by Ephram Brown
The more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm not sure who the first person was who said that. Probably Shakespeare. Or maybe Sting. But at the moment, it's the sentence that best explains my tragic flaw: my inability to change. I don't think I'm alone in this. The more I get to know other people, the more I realize it's kind of everyone's flaw. Staying exactly the same for as long as possible, standing perfectly still... It feels better somehow. And if you are suffering, at least the pain is familiar. Because if you took that leap of faith, went outside the box, did something unexpected... Who knows what other pain might be waiting out there. Chances are it could be even worse. So you maintain the status quo. Choose the road already traveled and it doesn't seem that bad. Not as far as flaws go. You're not a drug addict. You're not killing anyone... Except maybe yourself a little. When we finally do change, I don't think it happens like an earthquake or an explosion, where all of a sudden we're like this different person. I think it's smaller than that. The kind of thing most people wouldn't even notice unless they looked at us really, really close. Which, thank God, they never do. But you notice it. Inside you that change feels like a world of difference. And you hope this is it. This is the person you get to be forever... that you'll never have to change again.

Princeton Essay, Written By Ephram
Tell us about yourself in such a way that we will have a good sense of who you are; 500 words.
I wish you would've asked me that two years ago. I could've told you exactly who I was, who I'd be. Two years ago I knew it all and the thing is, I was right. Plans are like candy to the Fates. The only thing you could ever be sure of is nothing ever goes the way you imagined. I should probably be used to that by now. The thing is you can never tell when everything you counted on might fall apart – no matter how solid the rock. Rocks break. Everything changes, even when you think you’re sure, especially. To be fair, if I was one of the Fates looking down at the best laid plans of dumb little people, I'd probably see mine and want to mess with them too. You want to know about me in 500 words? I get scared sometimes and disappointed. I have doubts and I love getting my way. I don’t like change, but I know it's good for me and inevitable so I welcome it as best I can. There’s a poem by Johann Franck that says it better than I will. "Defy the old dragon, defy fear. The world may rage and quake but I shall remain singing in perfect peace." Yeah, things happen – things you don’t expect – or want or like. The world rages and you become someone you didn’t know you’d ever be. And there you are, in your clothes, in your life, this is my future, this is me. This is me and I want things I never thought I would. I want the possibilities a school like Princeton can afford. A place to grow, meet new people. A place to be surprised when life turns out to be nothing like I imagined. You have to be grateful for it – in perfect peace.


My Dearest Ephram, Written By his Mother
This letter from Julia to her son was written on the inside cover of the book that would serve as Ephram's graduation gift. The book was called "Oh, The Places You'll Go!" and was written by Dr. Suess. The episode goes by the same name.
My Dearest Ephram, I've been sitting in our kitchen for the last half hour simply imagining you. Wondering what you must be thinking right now. What you must be feeling. How handsome you must look in your cap and gown. If you're thinking about me...stop. Send a kiss to the sky, and then focus your thoughts on what's coming towards you, not what you left behind. I am forever entwined in your past, your present, and your future. You needn't pause to look for me. I'm right here. If you're feeling frightened about what comes next...don't. Embrace the uncertainty. Allow it to lead you places. Be brave as it challenges you to exercise both your heart and your mind as you create your own path towards happiness, don't waste time with regret. Spin wildly into your next action. Enjoy the present, each moment, as it comes, because you'll never get another one quite like it. And if you should ever look up, and find yourself lost, simply take a breath and start over. Retrace your steps and go back to the purest place in your heart...where your hope lives. You'll find your way again. Love, Mom

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how nice it is to meet someone that feels exactly the way I do about this show. It's like /I/ wrote this entry or something. I've always had Season 1, but I recently saw that they released Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD, so I ordered them immediately and have been watching them feverishly ever since. I also read that the 4th season will be out sometime in August, feels like forever from now, ya know?

    P.S. Excellent selection of quotes here .. each so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everwood is one of my favorite shows and I wish it was still on the air!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelley,

    What is the love poem Ephram's Grandmother recites in one of the episodes? I can't find it anywhere and was wondering if you know it? It was in a later season... Very simple but sweet. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete